FAMILY UPDATE: SEPTEMBER 14, 2020
Dear CHEC Parents/Estimados Padres de Familia:
I hope all are well, safe, and having a wonderful weekend. Thank you to all parents and students for a great start to the school year. We are two weeks in, and while there have been some obstacles, we are working through them. I am pleased to share some updates with you that will further support you this school year.
Espero que todos esten bien, de buena salud, y disfrutando el fin de semana. Gracias a todos los padres de familia y estudiantes por su apoyo al comienzo del ano escolar. Han habido obstaculos, pero estamos trabajando en equipo para resolverlos. Me da mucho placer compartir unas noticias y actividades:
- Back to School Night will be Wednesday, September 23, with two sessions, 3 pm and 6 pm. It will be a TEAMS live event.
- La Noche de Regresar a la Escuela sera miercoles, 23 de septiembre, con dos sesiones, 3 pm y 6 pm. Sera un evento de TEAMS live.
- We have created an instructional calendar that shows all key dates and events. It can be reached through this link: 2020-21 Instructional Calendar.
- Hemos creado un calendario con todos los eventos importantes. Se puede acesar aqui 2020-21 Instructional Calendar.
- Our first project of the year will be an interdisciplinary project called Living Through History. Students will explore and research the critical events they are living through right now. We would love you to become involved and to hear your voices as well. The project is described in this attachment, you can see what each grade level and discipline will be working on. LTH GRASP Schoolwide.docx
- Nuestro primer Proyecto del ano sera un Proyecto que combina las diferentes materias que los estudiantes estan estudiando. Se llama, Viviendo la Historia, y nos gustaria que ustedes como padres tambien participen. El Proyecto se encuentra aca LTH GRASP Schoolwide.docx
Gracias Padres de Familia!
FAMILY UPDATE: AUGUST 11, 2020
Dear CHEC Parents and Students:
I hope that all are well, safe, and having a wonderful summer. I look forward to seeing you on the first day of school, August 31st! I would like to share with you some key updates and information about school opening at CHEC. School will be starting in a fully virtual format for the first advisory (until November 6), and decisions regarding in person instruction after November 6 will be made by DCPS in collaboration with DC Health and will be communicated before then. We are planning forward for the possibility of in-person instruction in the second advisory or second semester.
While we miss the personal contact with our students, we know that safety and health come first. We have been working hard over the summer to plan for virtual instruction that will maintain our three pillars of instruction, Rigor, Relevance and Social Justice.
- The School Day will be from 8:30 am until 4:00 pm, four days a week, on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. On Wednesdays, students will have individualized sessions between the hours of 11:30 am and 4:00 pm. These will include opportunities for assistance from teachers, as well as clubs, sports, and enrichment.
- All students will have four classes a day, 80 minutes long. 45 minutes of the class will be live instruction by the teacher, and 35 minutes will be provided for independent study, small group, or viewing of recorded lessons.
- There will be a 45-minute lunch period
- The middle school will operate on an A day B day schedule, with half of their eight classes on A day, and half on B day. Middle school students will take all of the required classes and will have time for electives and support classes as well.
- The high school will continue to operate on a four by four semester schedule. Students will be able to take all required courses, electives, Advanced Placement, and Academy specialization courses
- There will be one platform that all students will enter daily. Parents will find a weekly schedule of major assignments on that platform.
- Attendance will be taken daily, and grades will be assigned for all courses.
- We will be providing technology for all students who need it. Please make sure you have filled out the DCPS Technology Survey. A schedule of distribution will be published during the week of August 24th.
- We will provide parent support classes and sessions, to assist parents in supporting their children with on-line learning.
We have much more to share and are excited for the opportunity to learn with your child this year. We will have Parent/Student Orientation live Zoom meetings on the following dates:
6th and 9th Grade - August 25th – 6:00 pm
7th and 10th Grade – August 26th -6:00 pm
8th and 11th Grade – August 27th – 6:00 pm
12th Grade – August 28th – 6:00 pm
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me at Maria.Tukeva@k12.dc.gov. Please also check out our website for regular updates, checdc.org.
Thank you, parents, and family members, for becoming a part of our community. We look forward to a wonderful School Year 20-21!
FAMILY UPDATE: MAY 25, 2020
Dear CHEC Families:
I hope all are well, and have enjoyed the Memorial Day Holiday! Thank you to all parents for participating in our Parent Teacher Conference Day! It was wonderful to see all of you! As we enter the last week of School Year 20-21, I have some important updates to share with you:
- This is the last week of school, and all students will be presenting a portfolio reflection of their work. Please ask your child when he or she is presenting, and join them in the session! It will be wonderful to have you see and hear what students have been learning. If you need to know when your child is presenting, please go to the website, chec.dc.org Tuesday morning to find the schedule.
- All students must complete their assignments this week, in order to have them count towards their grade for the Fourth Advisory. Please look at your child’s Aspen account to see how they are doing with their assignments, and contact the teacher or administrator if you have any questions.
- Summer School will be virtual, and will start on June 22 and end on July 24. There are a variety of opportunities, and we will send you a complete schedule and program, once it is finalized.
- School Year 20-21 will begin on August 31st, and will most probably be a combination of virtual and in-person. You will have opportunities to provide your ideas and feedback about how to make school safe in the new school year, through surveys and Parent Town Halls.
- Please be sure your child is enrolled for next year by June 15. Please contact me at Maria.Tukeva@k12.dc.gov if you have any questions about enrollment, or need help to enroll.
Thank you, families, for your partnership with us. Let’s all finish the School Year strong!
UPDATED: APRIL 23, 2020
We have fabulous news to share – In the latest US News and World Report on top US high schools, CHEC ranks # 6 in DC and #298 among all magnet schools in the nation! The 2020 U.S. News Best High Schools rankings include data on more than 23,000 public high schools in 50 states and the District of Columbia. More than 17,700 schools were ranked on six factors based on their performance on state assessments and how well they serve all of their students, regardless of economic or ethnic background, to prepare them for college. Here is a link with more information.